Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Winter Fun

If you're brave like I am and not afraid of a little vacuuming after playtime is over, then look at what kept Ben entertained all late-afternoon in our house today. Our outdoor sand and water table has been seasonally revamped into an indoor sensory table filled with dryed beans in different colors and textures. I'm definitely not the first person to ever do this - in fact I got the idea at the preschool we toured yesterday - but I always love to find alternate uses for many of the toys we own in order to make them more interesting and also to prolong their life with the kids. I'm all for a toy that can be used four seasons out of the year as opposed to only one or two. Makes me feel like I am getting my money's worth :)

Our iPlay table also has roads carved out of the top of the cover so when we are not using the beans, we can use the table with the cover on as a highway for all of our Matchbox cars. Even Nate was having a good time when the table was closed, as he can stand unsupported when propped up against something. Of course he is too little to play in the beans and we did pick out only beans that are small enough that they will not be a choking hazard to him if he happens to get a hold of one of the loose ones.

So in exchange for a little vacuuming and a few dollars for some dried beans, the boys had several hours of entertainment. Nothing like thinking outside of the box!




0 comments: