Sunday, July 05, 2009

Berry Picking

Andrew has a few messy projects that he is working on around the house. So, to help out, I offered to take the kids out for the whole morning so that he could get some of his dirty work done in peace, without his "helpers" (Ha! Much to Ben's chagrin...). So, since it is such a beautiful day out today, I decided to venture out to one of our favorite orchards for another day of berry picking, this time blueberries and raspberries. We drove to Solebury Orchards in New Hope, PA and spent the morning amongst the berries (eating a few along the way!) and came home with a few pounds of fresh berries. Yummy!

First we hit the raspberry patches. Solebury is wonderful and always has a great selection of fruit whenever I have been there. It is on this picturesque back road in Bucks County and is just such a nice, quaint little orchard with very yummy fruit.

Here are the boys enjoying the raspberry picking. My guys have expensive taste - they prefer raspberries and blackberries over other fruits so this was an especially exciting opportunity for them! I have already promised them that I will take them back for blackberry picking in a few weeks when they are in season.

Ben was quite helpful and filled up his own basket of raspberries. He kept telling Nate that he was "very busy picking raspberries" whenever Nate tried to tell him something or get his attention. LOL! Apparently, he takes his raspberry picking quite seriously...


Nate on the prowl for a few freebies from our already-picked stash...


"I think I remember these from the supermarket..."

"Yup! These are them! I LOVE raspberries, too!"


Next up: blueberries. Solebury also had rows and rows of blueberry bushes so this was another fun opportunity for the kids. Ben actually loves the Robert McCloskey book Blueberries for Sal, so anyone familiar with the book will know why he kept saying "kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk" when he put his berries into our basket. Ha ha!

The blueberry connoisseur looks as if he was caught red-handed eating a few too many off the bush, don't ya think? Ha!

Finally, after we finished picking our own berries, we went into the shop to pay and I bought the boys a cider donut. Yum! We then found this cute little stone bench to sit on and have our snack before we headed out on our way home.

I think we have two very happy customers, don't you? Making silly scrunchy-nose faces at eachother as they enjoyed their treat.

Checking out a (small) portion of the berries that we picked...

2 comments:

cRazYquiLter said...

You've inspired me! I think I'm going to take the boys this week, it looks like we may have more sunny days than rainy this week, if the forecast is to be believed!

Melissa said...

Looks like you guys had soo much fun!! I love the pic of the boys on the bench looking at each other!