Friday, July 03, 2009

Fetal Echocardiogram

Yesterday I went for a fetal echocardiogram at the hospital as part of my regular diabetes monitoring. The reason that they do this is because people with full-term diabetes and those who have an early onset of gestational diabetes run the risk of the baby developing too much glucose being pumped into the heart, which, I believe, in term can cause some heart problems and defects. So, luckily they are monitoring me closely for this.

Fortunately, the ultrasound and heart study went very well yesterday - all of the heart chambers are functioning normally and as far as they can see, the diabetes has not had any effects on the baby's heart or weight. The baby now weighs 1lb. 4oz, which is in the 52nd percentile overall, and we defintely saw once again that this baby is a girl!

They are going to be monitoring me more closely over the next few months as I end the second trimester and begin the third trimester since this is the time when the effects of diabetes can really set in. I will continue to update my blog after each one.

1 comments:

Kurt and Michelle said...

I'm so glad everything seems to be going smoothly with the diabetes! I'll be continuing to pray throughout the pregnancy. I LOVE all the new pictures!! Is Nate a lefty too? I noticed the hand he was using...too funny if he is! The boys are looking so big these days!! I can't wait for Maddie to play with her cousins in September!!! Love to you all! Miss you. Have a great 4th!