Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cake Decorating: Course 1

Something I have always wanted to do ever since I worked in the bakery in high school and over college breaks, is to take professional cake decorating classes. Well, I decided to go for it and signed up for the first Wilton class at a local Michael's Arts and Crafts store. There are at least three more courses to take there and the instructor also teaches private lessons at a local bakery and also in a community college. So, I am going to continue taking these courses to build my skills since it is something I really enjoy.

The instructor is Amy Recinos, owner of Amy's Creative Cakes - http://www.amyscreativecakes.com/ - and she is wonderfully talented. Check out her web site for some amazing cake designs, some of them are unreal!

My first course ended last night and I created three cakes in it. We learned borders, leaves, various flowers, characters, writing, and other techniques. Only a handful of the techniques are shown on the cakes and only 2 types of flowers. The last cake shown - the rainbow - was the first one we did and was pretty basic but a lot of fun. I brought it into Benjamin's preschool class at Indian Valley Nursery School (IVNS) the week that they were studying clouds and rain. What perfect timing...and what a hit Benjamin was with his teachers and classmates :)

Violets, roses, leaves and a shell border:

A cluster of roses, a bow, different leaves, cursive writing and a shell border:

Star tip, clouds and printing.

1 comments:

Mike and Chang said...

soo pretty!! It must be a fun course